International arbitration has emerged as one of the leading methods of resolving international investment and commercial disputes involving businesses, states and high-net-worth individuals. It brings the power to enforce contracts and protect investments across borders, balancing due process with the need for flexibility, privacy and efficiency.
Clients from all sectors rely on the commercial understanding and international reach of our experienced international arbitration lawyers to resolve their most complex and significant international disputes. Our service includes everything from advising on arbitration agreements in cross-border deals, conducting institutional and ad hoc proceedings, to enforcing awards throughout the world.
We have a team of more than 40 partners worldwide with expertise in international and investment arbitration, meaning we have in-depth familiarity with the rules and proceedings of all of the principal forums. We can mobilise teams quickly to assist anywhere in the world.
Knowledge combined with experience
The right business outcome for you is always our priority. This is why our deep knowledge of a broad range of industry sectors – from financial institutions to energy and infrastructure – is so vital.
Our international arbitration expertise, together with our experience across the full range of alternative dispute resolution options, combines to focus on helping clients to achieve cost-effective, innovative and commercially minded dispute resolution.
We have wide-ranging experience in:
- Acting in arbitrations as counsel or arbitrator pursuant to various rules, including the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC),The Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration (SCIA), the Shanghai Court of International Arbitration (SHIA), the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Centre (CIETAC), and the Dubai International Financial Centre’s (DIFC) joint venture with the LCIA
- Obtaining freezing orders and other emergency court relief in aid of arbitrations around the world
- Enforcement of arbitral awards
- Drafting complex dispute resolution provisions and arbitration clauses for use in cross-border agreements and selecting and appointing arbitrators and identifying where arbitrations should take place
- Advising and representing states and investors in relation to investment claims, including in investment arbitration under international investment agreements such as bilateral investment treaties (BITs). In this respect, we have substantial experience before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) domain name arbitrations and China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission arbitrations
- Collaboration as co-counsel with leading international arbitration practices in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas.
Our international arbitration lawyers have developed a reputation for delivering efficient outcomes, innovative commercial solutions and strong amicable negotiations.